Monday, June 30, 2014

Marathon Training Week 5

Summary of Weekly Miles

Monday -3 miles, 27:26, 9:12 min/mile, 5:45 am. I had a doctor's appointment after work so I ran in the morning so that I could go to the doctor and head straight home to study for my quiz on Wednesday!

Tuesday - 6.13 miles, 50:17, 8:12 min/mile, (HR 158). Ran this at RIT with Trisha who is like 5 minutes faster than me at the 5K and an hour faster at the marathon. Seriously. Her easy run is practically my tempo! It was good to run with someone and get some mileage in while we were both trying to prepare for our quiz. It was hot, hot, hot out though!

Wednesday - 4 miles, 38:04, 9:31 min/mile. Did this before work and was pretty much a zombie due to a late night of homework the night before! Also ran an extra mile since I was supposed to do 7 on Tuesday but only ran 6.

Thursday - 4.24 miles, 35:01, 8:15 min/mile, HR 154. This was a tempo workout that I did on the canal path from Greece Canal Park after a coworker's graduation party. Did a 1 mile warm up, 2 miles at tempo (7:35, 7:40) then cooled down to hit 35 minutes total. Tempo pace should be a little quicker than what I hit - working on it. It was pretty hot and muggy but I have been dealing with the heat pretty well so far. I think my pace was off because I have a hard time focusing on pace in general.

Friday - off

Saturday - 14 miles, 2:12:12, 9:26 min/mile, HR 148. Since I was home this weekend for my mom's "Celebration of Life" memorial service I knew I would need to really focus on dragging my butt out for my long run. I have a tendency to skip runs while at home and I KNEW I couldn't this time. Randomly, my friend Jim commented on something I had tweeted earlier in the week and I ended up finding out that he had just done his first triathlon. We ended up arranging to run Saturday morning because I figured that he could handle a longer run with me and I was dying for company. We met up at 8 (ok, 8:15 because I was late) at The Jolly Farmer in Waverly, NY and Jim led me on a 2 hour tour of the valley. It ended up being a really good run and despite the heat, I felt really strong. Jim started to fade a bit after about 10 miles and I ended up running ahead after 12 and met him back at the Farmer for Gatorade and chocolate milk. It was really good to have company for the run and to catch up with a friend that I hadn't seen in a while! Also, it's better than running from my dad's house because it's difficult to do loops there and I always end up running out and backs which gets boring at those longer distances.

Sunday - 7 miles, 1:03:21, 9:03 min/mile, HR 143. Did this in the morning before we had to get ready and leave for the cemetery. I really had trouble getting out of bed but this run ended up going really well, I felt strong with absolutely no soreness or fatigue from the longer run the day before, and ran at a pretty decent pace (for me) for an easy run with hills. (There are nothing but hills in Bradford County, PA).

Week 5 Mileage: 38.37
Total Training Cycle Mileage: 152.75

All in all, it was a good week for running for me. I was VERY stressed out mid-week between work, school, getting my runs done, and my mother's memorial service which was yesterday. I will have a blog post of it's own for that.. but in general, it was a much better day than I was expecting and it made everything that I dealt with throughout the week feel incredibly unimportant in the big scheme of things.

Onto week 6!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love creepy blog stalker friends! Don't be afraid to leave me a comment!