Friday, May 28, 2010

book nerd

Yesterday I finally finished reading "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall. It's basically about ultrarunning and these crazy guys who run in sandals down in Mexico. My parents got me this for my birthday after I had already bought it for myself! So I returned mine to Barnes & Noble.

Then I started reading "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson which is amazingly awesome. It's about 2 out of shape dudes who hike the Appalachian Trail. I'm a fast reader - I'm about halfway through and it's funny enough to make me giggle like an idiot while I'm reading it. He's talking about all of the equipment he has to buy for a 5 month hike up the east coast and this is what he has to say, "I hadn't expected to buy so much--I already owned hiking boots, a Swiss army knife, and a plastic map pouch that you wear around your neck on a piece of string, so I had felt I was pretty much there..." Once I am done with this book I am going to read all of his other books! That's how much I love it and I highly recommend it!

I love to read. I'm pretty much a reader of 3 types of books: fantasy (ie Harry Potter and other nerdy books), sports/adventure (anything running/cycling related or anything outdoorsy by authors such as Jon Krakauer), and Dan Brown/Michael Crichton-ish types (stuff that is super easy and entertaining). These are the genres that I seek out but I will read mostly anything. :)

So anyways, now I REALLY want to hike the Appalachian Trail (even more than I already did). This is why I shouldn't read books like this. When I read Into Thin Air I wanted to go climb Mount Everest, but I'm pretty sure I would die in an avalanche so I scrapped that idea (plus I don't have an extra 100 grand lying around to fund an Everest expedition). I'm not sure how normal people actually do hike the AT. It takes months and you have to have a lot of money for gear, hotels, food along the way, etc. Plus how does anyone take 5 months off of work? I get 2 weeks of vacation. Not gonna happen! Then I thought well maybe I can RUN the AT and that will take less time.. but it's 2000 miles. Hmm. Hmmmmmmm..


On the IM forefront.. I forgot to do my freakout on May 25th so I will do it now. TWO MONTHS UNTIL LAKE PLACID!!!!!!!!!!!! And I'm done.

I had a horrible run yesterday in a heat wave. 10 min/miles if not slower and some overheating. I do not sweat much until I'm done and in my apartment, and then it looks like someone dumped a bucket of water on me. I got yelled at by Ari and Mary for running in a not so nice area of the city in my sports bra and "tiny shorts" which are not tiny! They are regular length running shorts! I'm sorry that my big butt fills out my shorts and makes them look shorter! haha!

I have a weird thing going on with my toes. I started to get a weird tingling in my middle toe on each foot about 2 weeks ago. My first thought was "OH MY GOD I HAVE MS." But really, I'm sure I don't have MS. I switched to a new pair of running sneakers. They are exactly the same as my last ones but they are nice and new and hot pink! So I will see if that fixes it. If it doesn't work, I might try a new model of sneakers. If THAT doesn't work then I have no idea what to do other than see a doctor and see if I have a pinched nerve or something. It doesn't bother me to run but it's bothering me sitting here right now with my toes all tingly!

Also stupid Ironman switched the on course sports drink 8 weeks before Lake Placid. However I shouldn't be complaining because it switched from Gatorade Endurance to Powerbar PERFORM. And what have I been using on my bike? Powerbar Endurance. Although I JUST BOUGHT a big tub of GE so I could start practicing with it. So apparently no one knows what is in this PERFORM stuff but we are all getting a free case of it to test out. And I do like free stuff!

And finally, I am racing a 5K on Sunday. Mary has us run 5Ks to see how our running is progressing and also so she can figure out our IM marathon pace. I'm not sure how she does that (perhaps magic?) but I hate 5Ks so I just want to get it over and done with. So my 5K is in Waterloo and is called the Celebrate Commemorate 5K. I picked it because it has a free t-shirt AND a free finish line photo! I've never heard of a race doing this before! I always steal legally obtain my race photos off of Brightroom. So I will be there adorned in my new Train-This singlet and my apparently too-short running shorts (or perhaps I will wear my running skirt!) ready to strike a pose at the finish line! Unfortunately, racing alone is just not as much fun as racing with friends but I am no stranger to going solo so I will just have to make new friends in Waterloo! do my usual antisocial race behavior and speak to no one.

5 comments:

  1. I'm a book nerd, too!! Just finished Once a Runner....I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too!! Im quite the Harry Pooter fan, and I love Dan Brown, too...looking forwadr to sharing some of our favorites on the trip up in a few weeks!!! Also...when did you hear about this switch for sports drinks??? AHHHH!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yes, I've read Once a Runner (I actually own one of the first editions which are out of print!) and the sequel Again to Carthage. They are superb!

    and Rae: you didn't get the email from Ironman Connect yesterday? I just forwarded you the email to your hotmail account. Also you can look at this Slowtwitch article: http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Get_ready_for_Powerbar_PERFORM_1359.html

    I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think it's pretty close in ingredients to Powerbar Endurance and Gatorade Endurance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of Bryson's books are awesome. The one about his childhood, "the lightning bolt kid" is halarious as is "A sunburnt country" about Australia, you will want to go there when you read it.

    Also the new powerbar drink is gonna be basically exactly the same as endurance, it's just going to be in a plastic bottle so they can charge more money for it and have the WTC use it on course so they don't have "mixing" issues. Just like gatorade is doing with their new endurance formula..its the same stuff with a new name/label and conveniently 10 dollars more :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bryson is HILARIOUS! I can't wait to read the rest of his books. And that "new" Gatorade Endurance is 10 dollars more for LESS POWDER! I saw it today at Fleet Feet! freakin' ripoff!

    ReplyDelete

I love creepy blog stalker friends! Don't be afraid to leave me a comment!