Monday, May 10, 2010

long time

I have not written a post in a long time. Mainly because I have been very busy and nothing interesting has happened to me in a while.

Until last week. Which is when I got offered a full-time job at OCD! I took it! Totally un-related to tri but it's a big relief that I FINALLY have a stable job and I won't have to constantly worry that I may not have a paycheck. So I'm psyched about all of the benefits that come with a full-time job.

I went to my parents' house for Mother's Day weekend. So did my brother. I had a 6 hour ride scheduled for Saturday. My brother and I rode together. It was windy as hell but at least it was 70 degrees or so out when we started.

It was super flat for a while and we were keeping a really good pace (I rode the first 56 miles of the ride in under 3 hours, compared to my bike split at Musselman 1/2 IM last year when I biked ~3:02 or something similar). So I was pretty psyched because I figured we would go 112 miles, or more. And then we turned around. And then we realized the the wind was blowing even harder on the way back AND we had a big hill to ride up. And then it started to get colder. We were 5 hours in and we realized how late it was and Grant (my brother) had to be on a train to go back to NYC at 6:35. So we called my parents and had my mom come get him ASAP, and I instructed my dad to come get me at 5 pm which is when my 6 hrs was up (we had slowed down a lot due to the wind and by this time there was NO WAY I was going to make it back to the house in 6 hours). And then it started to rain. And then I ran over a wire and got a flat tire, which I had Grant change because I figured he'd be faster. While he was changing the tire, it started to SLEET. It was nuts. My mom picked up Grant at 100 miles. I made it 106.5. I was dead by the end. At the end of my 20 mins of tempo at the 5 hr mark, I just did NOT want to pedal anymore.

Although the weather did not fully cooperate, I think it's good to ride in all sorts of conditions. You never know what is going to get thrown at you in a race! Also, this was my first century ride! I hit 100 miles in about 5:33. I'm pretty psyched about that! Now I just have to work on getting a little more comfortable with the distance so I can finish feeling a little stronger!

My bike was a filthy mess which I cleaned today.

And that is the story of my life. Work, sleep, train. That's pretty much it. It's 9:40 pm and this is the last thing I'm doing before I go to sleep. Hopefully I will have more interesting posts sometime soon..


  1. Nice riding ms alexa, how'd the nutrition go for you?

    p.s. I'm jealous you made it the whole 6 hours, your more Iron that Corona and I

  2. Nutrition went great! Ate every 45 mins. Probably could have drank more but it was rather cool out. And I'm 100% sure you two would have made it 6 hours if you hadn't of crashed!!!


I love creepy blog stalker friends! Don't be afraid to leave me a comment!