Tuesday, February 22, 2011

back from the dead

Hello blogland, I am alive. I haven't posted or even commented on anyone else's posts in over a week.


I have had the plague strep throat for the past week AND I moved to a new apartment this weekend. Between these two things I have had no time, energy, or motivation to post. When I wasn't packing, moving, or unpacking, I was lying in bed feeling miserable. I was definitely NOT training. I did keep up with reading blog posts though.. on my iphone.. while lying in bed. :)

The plague started on Tuesday. I was working C-shift last week and I woke up from my daytime sleep and felt like crap. I thought I had the flu because the sickness hit me so suddenly! I ended up calling in sick on both Wed. and Thurs. and I already had Friday off (vacation day to give me more time to pack). So now it's not even the end of February and I've used 3 of my 5 sick days up. Wonderful.

Friday I was feeling a bit better so I told my parents to go ahead and come to Rochester for the weekend (they were moving me with their truck). Unfortunately, I did not feel so hot on Saturday, but with the help of my parents and my friends Rae and Greg, we got the remainder of my stuff moved to my new place. Saturday was the worst moving day EVER - high winds, snows, bad driving conditions - but we made it through. We set up my bed and put together one piece of IKEA furniture and then my parents left to eat dinner (by this point I had had no appetite for 4 days) and I went to bed.. couldn't sleep due to a burning sore throat - which is when I decided to go to urgent care in the morning. I had thought that I either had a really bad cold or possibly the flu, but the sore throat was just getting worse and worse every day and I was getting really concerned.

I got to urgent care early - before it opened - and was in an out in under an hour. The doc did a rapid strep test which came back positive, so he sent me off with a prescription for a wonderful 10 day antibiotic which I am now on day 3 of. I am no longer contagious, but my throat is still a bit sore, my voice is hoarse, and I am still coughing whenever I exert myself.

Sunday and Monday were spent unpacking, putting together furniture, getting a new couch, getting some final supplies for the new apartment (curtains and bathroom stuff) and then getting the rest of the stuff out of the old apartment. My parents headed back home on Monday afternoon after my friend Ari helped us get my old couch and chair into their truck.

Missed workouts? There are a TON. I missed Wednesday and Thursday totally, did a pathetic hour on the bike on Friday (the day I was feeling more normal) and then missed Saturday and Sunday. After basically a lost week.. I am trying to resume my normal schedule. Today I had to bag a swim halfway through due to a coughing fit.

It is taking every fiber of my being to NOT think about all of the fitness I have lost.

All I can do now is try to get back to where I was.

As for the new apartment.. I am loving it. Everything is set up and there is just a little bit of stuff that I still have to put away. I only need a little more time at the old apartment to finish cleaning and then I can get the new place cleaned up and will have photos galore!


  1. Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa (ninjiom-hk.cwahi.net) may be another solution to hoarse and sore throat. i know a lot of people use it, its also non alcoholic, though it's effectiveness is not as good as alcohol based cough medicine, but it's still good to use on not so serious sore or hoarse throat. Hope you are getting well soon!!!

  2. Take care of yourself. Be sure to get totally well before pushing hard into training.


I love creepy blog stalker friends! Don't be afraid to leave me a comment!