Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Friend-This?

One of the things that I am really excited about - being a relatively new member of Train-This - is making new friends. When I was in college I had a really great group of friends who were mostly other biology majors. It is so easy to fall into friendships with people who have similar interests.. in that case it was a shared major (and since biology is tough.. misery definitely loves company). We were constantly in class or labs or at the library and the stress level of being a bio major brings times when you are just completely ridiculous - either so tired from studying for a huge lab practical or geeking out over a crazy professor/fellow student. And then I moved to Syracuse, and then 9 months later I moved to Rochester and really I haven't found those kinds of friendships yet.

I have a few local friends.. Ari who is my mountain bike extraordinaire friend, and I have Andy, although he is my ex-boyfriend, and some friends from J&J but really not too many with which I can really relate. So it makes me excited for all of these people who love triathlon and are committed to Ironman to be on my doorstep. Even though our Sunday group runs are somewhat sporadic and at 7 am, I love them because it provides some interaction with people with similar interests. This past Sunday I met Kim in Mendon and we ran together and that was fun also. I am excited to do races with other Train-This teammates and wear matching kits!

Maybe I am lame for not having a booming social life but really, with working (especially these stupid rotating shifts) and Ironman training, I don't have time to go out. I am exhausted all the time and I need to sleep or just do something relaxing at home. Ironman is my priority and I am working on building the rest of my life around it! Slowly but surely I am figuring out how to get everything done while maintaining my sanity.

5 comments:

  1. awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes I am lame and mostly hang out with my cat

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha I am far from "extraordinare" status - but flatured non-the-less :) Don't be so hard on yourself...you are committed to doing something that's important to you. It's not lame it's awesome. Hanging out at a bar every weekend until 2 a.m. is lame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant flattered...can't spell :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Alexa! I'm not in Rochester, but I moved to a new place after college (for grad school) and fell into the triathlon scene in Memphis. Those people have become great friends and supporters. I'm even in one's wedding this weekend! So stick with the triathlon types - maybe a lot of Type A, but definitely a great place to be!

    Good luck at Lake Placid! I'll be reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love creepy blog stalker friends! Don't be afraid to leave me a comment!